Some days everything goes smoothly, some days are a challenge.
And then there are the days that need cake.
Here is my recipe for ‘feel better’ cake. It’s moist and sweet and guaranteed to make you and up to five friends feel better.
How to make date and apple cake
- 1 cup dates, chopped (scissors work well)
- 1 cup black tea
- 2 tart apples, peeled and grated
- 1.5 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 30g butter
- 150g muscovado sugar (3/4 cup; other sugar is okay if you can’t find it)
- 1 egg
- 125g self-raising flour (1 cup)
- 65g plain flour (1/2 cup)
- 1-2 teaspoons of your favourite sweet spices: nutmeg, cinnamon, even cardamom all work well
- Soak the dates and bicarbonate of soda in the tea. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Prepare a cake tin.
- With an electric whisk, whisk the egg alone, then the butter and sugar together, then add the egg and whisk all three.
- Stir the apples and the cooled date mixture into your batter. Then mix in the flour and spices, making sure they’re well combined.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until done in centre.
- Share. Feel better.