I was looking for a handy snack to bring along to a friend’s for Christmas. Decided to try my hand at home-made crackers. Wow! Super-easy and super-good!
No one believed these were home-made (despite the, er, ‘rustic’ appearance!). They are yummy enough to have on their own, like potato chips.
Here’s my adaptation of a recipe I found online.
Ingredients1 cup plain flour (not strong / bread flour, just the normal kind) Pinch of salt 1 tablespoon butter (take out of fridge well in advance to let it soften) About half a cup of milk
- Preheat oven to 160 C.
- Blitz flour, salt and butter in food processor until it looks like breadcrumbs. (If you don’t have a food processor, this will be slow. Take a butter knife and cut the mix until it forms breadcrumb consistency.)
- Gradually add the milk into the food processor, blitzing a little more until it forms a ball of dough.
- Dust a large bench space with flour (I find fine cornmeal works well) and roll out dough as thin as you can whilst making sure it doesn’t stick. You can also divide it in two batches for greater manageability.
- Using a knife or pizza wheel, cut into squares. Prick all over with a fork.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle on coarse salt.
- Put on baking tray on baking paper and bake for ~10 mins.
Sit back and enjoy the compliments!
We enjoyed these with my friend Alisha’s divine jalapeño lime hummus – scrumptious!